Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Introducing Bella the LapBand

I'm back at home with my Bella in place!

I got to the hospital at 10:30 and was being wheeled back for surgery by 11:30. I don't remember much of the ride down there. In fact, aside from scootching over onto the table I'm completely blank until recovery.

In recovery, they kept waking me up and telling me to breathe deep. Apparently my sat rate kept dropping into the low 60's. It seemed like it took forever for me to come to. I was a thirsty, sleepy, and nauseated mess of a girl for a good bit. The queasiness was the worst because you really want to expel, but are terrified of jarring the freshly placed band. Normally they'd give phenergan, but I'm allergic... I was kept on nasal oxygen until midnight.

I got wheeled to my room around 2:45. Around 3:15 I was wheel-chaired down to radiology for a barium swallow. Bella was in place, and aside from an air pocket where they stitched her in, everything was perfect. Nothing to worry about, it will dissipate. Oddly, the Barium helped to settle my nausea.

After that I was back in bed dozing in and out until around 6:00 when they brought me a tray of dinner. (Crystal Light, Sugar-free cherry jello, and chicken bullion) The cold stuff was harder to drink, it made me aware of my incisions. The bullion was heaven though.

I only had a couple bouts with the gas pains in my shoulder. They were't really bad and I managed to ease them by tapping my chest and changing position in the bed. Then there was a lot of burping.

As far as the pain goes, I have five incisions, but the one at the top with the port is the only one that is tender. Mostly it feels like I did way too many crunches at the gym. My incisions are all glued shut with dermabond, so I am able to shower.

I'm trying to keep this coherent, but I still find myself nodding off. I haven't had any pain meds since 6:00am so I guess I just need the rest.

I'll update more after a nap.

Ok I was going to update after a nap, but my brilliant self tried to go it without the pain meds today. No Go. Taking big dose of pain meds and going to bed. I'll read over this when I'm more coherent and answer any questions then too.


  1. Go slow and just take it easy. I felt great after surgery, did too much and than got slammed! Welcome to the other side!

  2. Woohoo, great news. I'm so jealous you are able to shower. I had stitches and cotton dressings and was told 'No shower for 10 days'...eerrggh...sponge baths are fine I suppose, but I had to use dry shampoo quite a lot as bending double over the cold, hard bath tub to wash my hair was nothing if not painful and unpleasant.

  3. Congrats! My port incision bothered me for about 2 weeks, and then no more pain. I am sure that everyone is different. I agree with Jacquie...take it slow. Take those pain meds if you need them, the pain will go away and you will be off of them soon.
    Good luck with your new journey.

  4. welcome to bandville!! :-) take it easy and have a speedy recovery!

  5. Good to hear from you! Rest, water, and little walks! You will feel really tired and sore but its all normal!

  6. Congrats! Glad all went well & welcome to Bandland :)

  7. welcome home! keep on top of your pain though. getting behind on your pain meds doesn't seem like it would be a huge deal, but it is. glad you're on the banded side. stay healthy and keep us posted.

  8. I am so glad you are well! Nice to meet you, Bella!

    Welcome to Bandland, Cheeseburger Girl!!!! :)

  9. Congrats on a successful surgery. I know everyone says "try going without pain meds or use liquid tylenol" I for one say take the pain meds, take the pain meds and drink lots of water and take stool softners so you will poop. Pain slows healing, the meds will help you to heal faster and get through this rough spot. Welcome to the other side!

  10. Take care of you and Bella! So excited for you! You're going to do great. Sending you happy and fast healing vibes.

  11. Yay, congrats to you and Bella! You will become lifelong friends, I just know it! <3