Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Where I Am (in the process)

At the beginning of February I went for an informational seminar on Gastric Weight Loss Surgery. They covered all the options available at our surgical clinic. I decided on the Lap Band. I know I need help to lose this weight. I know that this is the right choice for me at this point in my life. I feel confident that this will be the catalyst for positive change for me. Going to this meeting got me on the list and I was called within a couple of days and told to go have my blood-work and labs done.

Toward the end of February I went to a Lap Band Support Group Meeting. It was great to have people who have been there along with people who are in the planning stages. It was a great opportunity to have all sorts of questions answered and not just rely on the surgeons information.

Three days later I went in for my first surgical consult. Everything looks like it's good to go. All I need to do is fill out a ton of paperwork, have an Upper GI Barium Swallow, attend a four hour training class, and have a Psychological Evaluation done.

I was fortunate enough to get a class date during the first week of March. It was very informative and was basically them giving out all the worst case info so that you would be really prepared if you chose to continue the journey. I'm sticking with it.

Yesterday was my Upper GI at the Radiology Clinic. For those who have never been, well, I can't say it was fun, but it was over quick. The process took about 5 minutes. First you get topless and into a gown. Then you have to try and swallow this fizzing powder dry. You get one tiny shot of water to get it down with and then you are not allowed to burp. This is supposed to expand your esophagus. Next you get on the platform and take a big swallow of the thickest Barium solution whenever the Radiologist says swallow. About three big gulps. Next you lean back on the table while they lay the machine back. Then you roll over on your stomach partly and suck a thinner version of the Barium out of a straw. Inevitably, you get that white chalky stuff all over your face. There is no way to look cool while having this done.

I guess I forgot to mention you can't have food or water after midnight the previous night, so by the time you get in there you're ready to drink just about anything. Haha. Jokes on you, that stuff tastes horrible and is not thirst quenching. I wasn't too bad really. Mostly I'm glad it's done and all I have left is the Psych Eval.

By the way, the Barium is really thick and white. It goes in that way, and it comes out the same. So, don't be surprised and be sure to drink a ton of water afterward.

No comments:

Post a Comment